I love it when readers send in great tips, & Anna emailed me a hot one! Happy Green Bee has a fantastic sale going on that you must check out.
See that cutie above? Both the tank top & skirt she is modeling are just $4 each….for organic cotton! That’s an amazing deal! There are long sleeve tops, short sleeves, tank tops, skirts, skorts, pants, etc.
Why do I believe organic cotton is so important? Take a look at a few facts about how conventional cotton is farmed:
- $2 billion worth of chemicals are sprayed on the global cotton crop annually.
- Almost half of those chemicals are toxic enough to be classified as “hazardous” by the World Health Organization.
- Cotton is responsible for the release of 16% of global insecticides; more than any other crop.
- Cotton covers 2.5% of the world’s cultivated land, yet it accounts for 24% of the world’s insecticide market & 11% of the global sales of pesticides.
- Aldicarb, the second best selling pesticide for cotton production, can kill a human with one drop absorbed through the skin, yet it is used in 25 countries, including the US, where 16 states have reported it in their groundwater.
- Processing cotton uses many chemicals including silicone waxes, ammonia, formaldehyde & chlorine dioxide.
Yuck! If you’d like to score some inexpensive organic cotton items for your kids, check out the clearance section at Happy Green Bee.
Thanks again for the tip, Anna!